Sunday, February 14, 2010

We Left Him at the Church, too!

Well, how do I explain this one?!? Actually, I had Jess & Jen on the list but mid-way through the post, I rested my hand somewhere on the laptop and it deleted the bottom half of the post. I was so irritated because I had to re-do what I had lost. I thought I had everybody back on the list. I was wrong - boy was I wrong!

Ok, so here's a story you might have forgotten. One Sunday, when we were living in Nebraska, we were ready to head home (25 miles away). We had six children by then. They were all noisy and all busy. We got in the car and went home - at least we got to Hickman, about 20 miles from the church. I kept wondering why it was quieter than usual - one voice was missing. I turned around and began counting heads. We were one short! It was Jess! In a panic, we turned around and flew back to the church and dashed inside. There was Jess, quietly sitting in the foyer waiting for his parents to come back and claim him. One of our friends was there with him. So, Jess, you have been forgotten again.

Since I left you out, I will do more than one reason.

"How do I love you? Let me count the ways."
1. I love your constancy - I can always count on you in any situation.
2. I love the way you love your wife and you let the world know you do. It's very refreshing in this nasty, cynical world.
3. I love the fact that you are so talented in so many ways - and you are so competent.
4. I love how well you serve in any calling you are given.
5. I absolutely love your humor!! You make me laugh all the time.
6. I love you for the service you rendered when Ammon was in the hospital. You spent numerous early mornings sitting with him until I could get up there. You were never asked - you just did it.
7. I love the willingness you show to come and help us repair whatever has fallen apart and the fact that you know how to fix nearly everything.

There's probably more - just can't think of more at the moment.

Jen:
1. I love your dedication to the gospel.
2. I love how happy you make Jess.
3. I love how unflappable you seem (maybe you don't feel unflappable) when Jim teases you about food. You don't seem to let him bother you - and that's a really good thing.
4. I love your willingness to help us out in any situation (weddings, illness, etc.).
5. I love your desserts!! You make the best!
6. I love to see your creativity blossom as you create beautiful things for your home.
7. I love to see how you let your kids be kids and how you understand their need to be individuals.

I can actually think of more for Jen than I can for Jess -- JUST KIDDING! Most of all, I love both of you for staying in Utah!!!

Maybe I'll never post another Valentines Day post again when I have to include all of you - I'm bound to leave one of you at the church.

We had a great Valentine's Day and the meal at Jess & Jen's was truly delicious.

8 comments:

Jess and Jen said...

This has been a fun day, so thanks for giving us a reason to laugh! Dinner today was excellent and everyone who was involved gets a thumbs up from me. I just want you to know that I made the potato soup. Thanks to everyone for coming up and giving us a break from driving the 65 minutes.

I can think of many more things about Jen that are better than me, too. She really is the best, so I'm glad others see that, too.

Mark and Marcie read the blog happenings (ours and this one) and had a good laugh today, too. And Natalie's comment was awesome. -Jess

Dave and Tana said...

I'm starting to think that jess somehow hacked into moms blog post and erased his and jens names so everyone would be extra nice and so mom would post seven reasons instead on one. Dang jess, wish I would have thought of it first.

chelsey said...

You might be on to something there Dave...

Cedar Fort said...

I think you are right dave.. I was thinking the same thing... it's ok, I wrote about how I love you guys too on my blog so if ya need some love, check it out.

-Gillian

Mike and Adrianne said...

Notice they don't deny it...

Jess and Jen said...

Oh, I wish I were that clever! Mom, Abby was going through my "book" from when I was 7 or 8 years old. She came across a letter addressed to me from my sweet mother dated February 14, 1986. It was fun to open it up and take a look at what you wrote to me then. Thanks for loving me!

Jason said...

I remember when we left Jess at the church. Mom was absolutely horrified. I still tell that story. I think Dad was more ticked that he had to turn around and go back than he was worried about Jess. I know I was. Maybe I really did mean to shoot him after all :).

The Duke said...

Oh Jason, you make me laugh! Ok, I'll laugh at my dumb mistake because you have all made me laugh. I'm embarrassed, but at the same time, it turned out to be pretty funny.
I'm really glad you kept that note, Jess - that way you know that I really do love you and didn't intentionally leave you out.
What's that story, "There was an old woman that lived in a shoe. She had so many kids she didn't know what to do...."