Saturday, February 13, 2010

Sappy, Gooey Stuff

Valentine's Day is my favorite holiday of the year. Even when I was single (wait - I was single once?!?), I liked this holiday. As I began to have children, I liked it even more. It has been fun to write letters to each of you, or make candy cards, or make heart shaped pancakes or serve breakfast in bed or just tell you I love you. It isn't a holiday where I feel I have to spend a lot of moeny - it's the holiday that lets me do something that doesn't cost a bundle of money. No guilt - no high priced gift - just expressions of love in one form or another. This is a holiday where I expect nothing in return (truly) - it's my turn to share what I love about others.

So here's the sappy gooey stuff -- about as gooey as the carmel apple I'm trying to eat. I am going to write just one thing I love about each of you. There are ton's of things I could write - you just get one.
Jason - I love the interesting conversations I can have with you - you never make me feel dumb.
Michelle - I have always loved to see you giggle with joy when you are winning a game or having a great time. You know how to have fun.
Adam - I love the fact that you will call me when you have good news and when you share the victories of your life with me.
Amy - I love the fact that you feel free to call me and ask if I can watch the kids when I'm too slow to think about it myself. I feel like we have become good friends and that you trust me.
Chelsey - I love it when you call me and share your life with me. I miss it when I don't talk to you at least three times a week!
Brent - I love you for being in the right place at the right time so that not only can your company use your skills but the Lord can as well.
Adrianne - I love your creativity - not only in your writing, painting and cake decorating, but in the way you teach your boys the things they need to know.
Mike - I love your consecrated spirit and the way you care for others.
Lindsey - I love your fun spirit - you make me laugh and bring joy to me.
Hans - I love the fact that you seek knowledge and you are humble enough to seek truth.
Lance - I love your determination. I am amazed at your work ethic and how well you have done with your school work and with every job you have ever had.
Nancy - I love your sense of humor and your bright mind.
David - I love the fact that sometimes you will call just to talk and you always end the conversation by telling me that you love me. I never get tired of hearing that.
Tana - I love how well you adopted us as a family and how much you show your love for Ammon.
Gillian - I love to see how you are making such a lovely little home for you and Kevin - I love to see new talents blossom as you decorate your home, figure out ways to find cheap deals and how you are learning to cook.
Kevin - I love you for your support of Gillian as she struggles through some physical illnesses and for being there for her.
Kaitlin - I love your friendship and for your enduring spirit while finishing up your home life, soon to be on your own.
Ammon - I love you for teaching me how to be the best person I can be.

Jim - I love you for putting up with me and all my flaws. I love the fact that you wear blinders where I am concerned. I love you for not noticing or minding my Tourettes. I love you for being such a good father and for the righteous example you have been.

It shouldn't take a holiday for me to express my love to each of you - Remind me of that once in a while. I honestly don't think there could be a more blessed woman than I am to be able to claim all of you as my own. I have not forgotten the grandchildren. They are in my daily prayers as I express thanks to the Lord for sending them to good parents. I hope you express love to them daily, not once a year.

HAVE A HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!!

8 comments:

Jess and Jen said...

It's hard to write "Love you, too" when I don't see a "Love you" in the first place. Sorry we didn't make the list this year! -Jess

chelsey said...

That's funny Jess! We apparently are loved just a tad more!! ;) No, actually, you two are probably the most loved and therefore she couldn't bring herself to share her deepest love for you guys in such a public way. Feelings just too personal I guess! I LOVE YOU TWO!! (Miss you too)

Mom, it's funny that you would write this out. I've been thinking about the "love" letters you wrote to us every year while we were growing up. I still have them tucked away in my journal. It was always nice to have such a personal letter from my mom to be able to read whenever the chips were down. Do you remember that Care Bear heart you traced from my coloring book and wrote the love note on it? I think I was 7 then. I still have it and I think it's my favorite. I was so amazed that you could draw my favorite care bear for me. Thanks for being such a great example to us all and sharing yourself and love with us throughout all these years. I love you. Have a great Valentines Day today!

Dave and Tana said...

Mom!(and dad of course)

Tana and I love you guys so much. You guys have done more for me than you could ever know. There isn't a day that goes by that I am not blessed in some way by what you have done for me or something I learned from you guys! Love you! Have a great V-Day.

Lokodi said...

I thought you were supposed to forget the middle child. Jess isn't the middle child. What did you do, Jess, to get in trouble. That's my job. :) Even if mom doesn't love you, we do. :))

Mom and Dad,
I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always, as long as I'm living (and in the eternities), my parents you'll be. I've very lucky to have parents who were willing to except me into their family. Thank you for all the love you've shown me through out the years and for not giving up on me. Love you both!

Lindsey

Mike and Adrianne said...

I am excited to share Valentine's Day with the boys because of you, mom. You showed me growing up that Valentine's Day is not a day for lovers, it is a day for love. Thanks for loving us.

We love you both, Jess and Jen.

Team Clark said...

Oh, funniest and saddest thing I've seen in a while Jess and Jen...I am still laughing hard - I probably shouldn't be, but for some reason I find it funny.I know we love you guys - I can't wait for the teasing about this one this afternoon at your house....hee hee hee.

Adam

Jess and Jen said...

We can't wait, either! It's going to be AWESOME! Can you believe what a gorgeous day it is here today???

Seth and Natalie said...

That is so cute! I love v-day too because it isn't just about showing romantic love. It's letting ALL the people you care about know they are special. How sweet to think of all your family. Well, almost all.