Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Hugh Nibley

In March it will be the one hundredth birthday of Dr. Nibley. BYU is giving a lecture each Thursday evening on some aspect of his life or teachings and writings. Last week the lecture was on his work as an apologist. This week it will be on his feeling about the environment. The last lecture was given by Daniel Peterson. He is a well known scholar himself. I am loving the series.

His lecture went through a book he published clear back before my mission. I remember meeting Bill McCurdy in the Philippines on P day as he was reading the book. Fawn Brodie, who was a niece of the Prophet (McKay), had written an anti-Mormon book called No Man Knows My History. Nibley then wrote No Mame, that Ain't History.

Soon his last book will be published. It is the nineteenth book in a series published by the Maxwell Institute. I wished I had all of them. I have read several.

Dad Clark

2 comments:

Jess and Jen said...

I've never ready anything Nibley. All I know is he wrote Approaching Zion. And that you're a huge fan.

Jason said...

I love Hugh Nibley and wish I could be at those lectures. I have four or five of his books and really enjoy them. "Mormonism and Early Christianity" is one of my favorites.

I really hate the term apologist. I know it has a different connotation in the field of religious studies than it does in normal usage but I refuse to explain my belief in a defensive manner like many of the early christian apologists.