Sunday, December 02, 2007

The mouse is dead!

I just wanted to post this. I'm sure it is silly to most of you but it means a lot to me so I wanted to share it. We've had a mouse in our house and I've been trying to catch it all week. Finally today, when the mouse had eaten the bait and gotten away for the hundredth time, I couldn't handle it anymore. I was really upset, as I'm sure mom and Chels could attest. I even went so far as to get my neighbor to come and set the traps (because I had set them wrong). The mouse still got the bait and escaped even after the traps were set right. Mike called from work and I got to talk to him for about five minutes and the whole time all I could do was cry. So stupid. I know. I couldn't figure out why I was crying about some stupid (well, smart) mouse. I think we will blame it on pregnant hormones and missing the husband who usually takes care of issues like this.

Anyway, I was worried about using rat poison because of the boys and people keep telling me horror stories about the sticky paper so I just didn't know what to do. I saw this random thing online that some lady had posted. She said she put the fatty part of bacon on the trap and it worked every time. She said the mice have a hard time chewing it and it's heavy so they can't just grab it and take off before the trap goes off. Luckily, I had bought bacon at the Commissary yesterday. We don't buy bacon that often so it was just lucky I had bought it. I put the bacon on it and then a few hours later some friends knocked on the door. They had brought treats and I invited them in. They weren't even in the house for ten minutes when I hear a snap and I jumped up and ran to the kitchen. They were really confused and worried their dog that they had brought with them and put in the backyard had done something bad. But no, I had my friend's husband check in our pantry and sure enough, the mouse was caught! He bagged it up and threw it in the dumpster for me.

Now, this may seem silly to you all, or at least to the men, but I have to tell you that it was an answer to a prayer. I can't tell you the relief I feel now. First of all, I think it was inspiration that I bought bacon. Not only was I able to catch the mouse but Heavenly Father sent a man to our house to throw it away for me. This is a silly example that was causing me a lot of grief and I know Heavenly Father sent them to our house tonight. So, he answers prayers...even the silly ones.

7 comments:

chelsey said...

That's AWESOME! Congrats on the catch! Like I told you yesterday, if there'd been a mouse in my house without Brent around to catch it, I would've already driven to mom's or someplace far, far away. I know I'm a wimp with mice, so kudos on the bravery. Maybe those treats your friends brought should go back to them!! Funny how things like that work huh!

Lokodi said...

Oh my goodness! I would have died. I remember Chelsey and I stayed on the top of the table in Francesville forever until dad came home to kill a mouse that we saw running across the floor. Mice freak me out. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I knew there was a mouse in my house. Even with Hans home, I wouldn't feel safe or comfortable knowing that. How discusting. I will agree that Heavenly Father really helped you out on that one! I'm glad he hears our prayers, even if they are silly and about a mouse. I would need that prayer answered too.

Lindsey

Papa Doc said...

YEAH!! What a great idea to use bacon! Who would have thought about that one? (Some desperate woman, that's for certain.)
I'm so glad the dumb thing is gone -- but be prepared for more. As the weather gets colder, the mice look for warmth. I wish I could say you would never see another one, but the next time you will be prepared even quicker.
I'm proud of you for staying in that house -- mice are awful creatures.
Mom

Mike and Adrianne said...

I caught another one this morning. I just got back from Home Depot with new traps. I'm gonna make sure we have them all gone!

Michelle said...

The mice might be coming in from your garage, so set some traps in there and see how many you get! I'm surprised we haven't had a mouse yet since the children never seem to close the door. We had a mouse in our first house in Iowa City. One day we woke up and the mouse was in the middle of the floor dead. The cat had killed him. So if you get a lot of mice, get a cat!

On another note, Back in August I had lost my car keys. I had looked everywhere. They were gone for 3 months. I prayed often about them and one day in late October Jason said he found them in the garage.

Papa Doc said...

One thing that will help solve the problem is to find out where they are getting in. I doesn't take much. Any little hole in the sideing or the foundation, or anywhere. Seach that carefully, and if you can solve that one, then eventually when you catch and rid yourselves of the ones alrealy in, you will be rid of them.

This whole thing is, of course, a little funny coming from a girl who spent time on a glue board with live mice herself. You did not even cry back then. Actually, I think Mom did, however.

Dad Clark

Mike and Adrianne said...

There are a lot of holes in this house. If you remember, our house's foundation cracked. So, it is not as easy as you suggest. When Mike gets home I will leave that job up to him. I'm sick of catching mice and hope they stop coming in and will leave it all to him when he comes back. We are down to three mice now and I hope there are not more. But they have many choices of places to come in.