Sunday, January 24, 2016

BEST TOMATO SOUP EVER!

I found a tomato soup recipe in the Better Homes & Garden magazine. It looked simple and I had most of the ingredients so I decided to try it - and best of all, it only has 220 calories per serving.
This is the BEST tomato soup I've ever eaten. I decided to share it. It's simple and delicious.

1 TBS Olive Oil
1 med. onion chopped
2 cloves garlic chopped
3 c. lower-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
1 can (28 oz) whole peeled tomatoes
2 bay leaves
1 TBS butter
1/2 tsp sugar
 

1. In 5-to 7 qt sauce pot, heat oil on medium. Add onion and garlic; cook 10 minutes., stirring.
Add broth, tomatoes, baby leaves and 1/2 tsp salt. Heat to boiling on high. Reduce heat; simmer 20 min., stirring occasionally.
2. Meanwhile, trim crusts from bread. With heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut 4 hearts from bread slices; toast hearts. Stir bread scraps into soup.
3. Remove and discard bay leaves. Stir in butter and sugar. In batches in blender or with immersion blender, blend soup until smooth. Stir in 1/4 tsp. pepper. Served topped with croutons if desired.

About 4 servings, 220 calories, 4 g protein, 27 g carbs, 11 g fat (3 g sat), 3 g. fiber, 928 mg sodium.

I did not use the toast croutons. I just served saltines and Ritz crackers along with a spinach salad.

So yummy!!!

No comments: