Saturday, November 16, 2013

Life...

Well, one year ago, out family moved out of our South Jordan home. As we have reflected on this past year, Amy and I stand in almost reverence for the trial and gift it has been. It's crazy to think of where we were in September of last year. I never would have thought this is where we would be and what the past year would entail for us.

Honestly, there have been many miracles and blessings come our way. There is a lot to be grateful for. It has changed us in many ways - some are easy to see and some are not, but we feel it. It would probably be easier to see and feel if we were out of this whole thing.

Ever had a piece of dessert that is so rich and yummy that it is too much to want more of it? Well, that's kind of what it's been like for me, at least. So rich and amazing, but please don't ask me to have another piece!

But for whatever reason, the trial continues. Not sure if you all knew, but a few weeks ago I parted ways with my business - for several reasons that I don't need to explain here. So we are back in the search for employment.

One of the gifts I have received this past year was a much better understanding of myself and who I am and who I want to be, etc. As you all know, I have a lot of interests and have developed many different skills. However, over the past few years I have largely felt kind of like a caterpillar eating green leaves. It was what I was supposed to do, but something inside me kept saying I was something else. As I have worked hard to define myself better, I discovered my "butterfly". The challenge is now to figure out how to metamorphosis into the butterfly. There are basically two options for me: 1) use the money and experience of working for someone else to develop the last of what I need to get to where I want, or 2) develop it on my own and start my own company. Number 1 is more appealing right now, but it seems that I am not good at getting someone else to hire me. So, we keep our eyes, ears, and minds open and see where things go.

In the past few months I've had 2 companies recruit me and go through 3 interview levels each. Both companies really liked me, but the first really preferred someone who lived on the East Coast already and the second just thought that I wasn't quite the right fit for the position - I guess the Chief Strategy Officer that I interviewed with on Thursday told the recruiter that he felt that I was better suited for his job. While I appreciate the compliment, I would have rather had the job.

This is a recurring theme for me - people love my experience and breadth and how "smart" I am and likable and all that...but they have a hard time seeing how I fit the roles they have. they just don't know what to do with me. I seem to be just in between roles they have - too experienced and smart for one, and just not quite there for the higher one. It's a tough place to be in my career. This Boston job would have been a perfect fit, actually. The company will later wish they had hired someone like me rather than the more technical person they said they wanted in that role (although, I'm not sure how I'm not technical enough)

Anyway...

Here we are. We're in California living life as best we can. We have amazing children, generous family, and Amy is a rock. The weather is awesome and we enjoy many parts of being here. We will keep looking for jobs anywhere and wait on the Lord - not an easy thing sometimes.

But time isn't going to wait, and neither am I, so into my chrysalis I go - time to do some hard work to become the butterfly I want to become. No one's going to spin the thing for me. See you on the other side...:)

Adam


5 comments:

Ammon said...

I am grateful to have known you and Amy I have loved having you in our home I am so grateful to you and all our brothers and sisters and your kids and Amy for your time hear I love you with all my heart and soul and I leave this wit you in the name of our Savior Jesus Christ Amen

Papa Doc said...

I'm sorry to hear about the Boston interviews. I was so hopeful this would work for you. I hope and pray that you will be able to find something quickly.
You are constantly in our prayers.

Mike and Adrianne said...

Well, I didn't know any of this. I didn't know you were looking for another job and I'm not a part of the group text thing so I only just found out about the Boston thing. But, even not knowing it all, I put your name on the temple roll today. Hope you can find a job.

RETA said...

I know you will find your way. May blessings abound for you.

RETA@ http://evenhaazer.blogspot.com

Michelle said...

I hope things work out for you and the family. Maybe some awesome job will open soon that will be worth the wait. Praying for your family.