Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Katy's Going to BYU!!

Katilin called all of you last night except Lindsey - she didn't want to give Lindsey a heart attack at 4 a.m. in the morning and then Lindsey is staying at a different house while they are babysitting so I don't think she would have been home anyway.

Last night I was working with Ammon in his bedroom when all of a sudden I heard this huge scream. It wasn't one little screech - it was a blood curdling scream. I dropped everything and said, "What?! What's wrong?!" She was screaming so hard I could barely understand that she had just received notification via e-mail that she has been accepted into BYU. And then I started screaming and we hugged each other and jumped up and down over and over.

A few months ago Kaitlin attended some college days to get a feel for where she might want to go. When she came back she quietly said, "I will be going to BYU." She didn't say she hoped or thought - just knew she would be going there. We were a little concerned because her ACT was good but not super. The average ACT score at BYU is 28. She did a good job on her essay and she has taken a lot of hard classes while maintaining a good GPA but we still worried. (At least Dad and I did.) She looked at all other options and was excited to possibly go to USU. She received two scholarships to that school. However, those scholarships didn't represent the savings she will make by attending BYU because of my employment here. She only has to pay half tuition now. This is the very first time I have been able to help one of my kids with tuition and it feels very satisfying. I guess I'll stick with this job for four more years. :)

Her next step will be to see if she can get into a dance group - she will be working with the BYU dance instructor on Saturday so we'll see if a scholarship will be in the works with this opportunity.

CONGRATULATIONS, KATY!!

10 comments:

Jess and Jen said...

That's awesome, Katy! I remember being that excited when I got accepted too. Can't wait for you to be a BYU Cougar! -Jen

Team Clark said...

Hooray! Adam told me the news last night and we are just so excited for you. We know you will love it there. Way to go!

Mike and Adrianne said...

I'm so excited for you Katy! You will love your time at BYU!

Lokodi said...

Congrats Katy!!! I know how badly you wanted to go there. I'm very proud of you for working so hard. You were rewarded by all your hard work and it should feel pretty good. By the way, those pictures Gillian took of you were beautiful. You look amazing. When do you start school? In the summer?

Lindsey

Cedar Fort said...

She starts in the fall. I CANT WAIT! I am so glad she gets to stay close to home. I would have missed her... I would have had NO sisters around :( So proud of you katy. Lindsey, those pictures were taken back in september or october I believe, but last night I edited some of them so I added it. wish I could take pictures of your kids!
-Gillian

LanceandNance said...

Congratulations! We are excited for you and for all the great experiences you're sure to have.

Love,
Nancy, Lance, and Baby John

Jason said...

This is the first I am hearing about this. Congratulations, Katy.

The Duke said...

Jason - we called and left a message on the phone - I think it is Michelle's Pampered Chef line. Caleb also knew last night because he and Katy were talking on Facebook. Sorry you didn't get the message.

chelsey said...

Yeah for Katy! I'm so glad she can go and have 1/2 tuition too! Does that 1/2 tuition apply for Caleb too if he wanted to go to BYU?

Steven said...

What a happy time for your family! Thanks for sharing, Sister Clark. Best to Katy and to all your family. Steven Truscott and family in St. Louis