Thursday, January 24, 2008

Moolah

Looks like we've all got some money coming our way shortly. I don't think we'll be using it the way Pres. Bush wants us to, though. Jen alerted me it's going straight to savings. I guess that isn't so bad, right?

It was interesting reading about this in the last few days. Originally, Republicans said this would be a rebate/refund to only those who actually paid taxes (see bottom of page 1). Democrats were holding out and wanted it to be a check sent to everyone.

Since our federal exemptions are 13, we pay very (!) little federal taxes, yet we still got a refund last year due to home ownership and three kids.

Personally, I'm glad the Democrats held out for a wider distribution. I understand both arguments, but I personally prefer the wider distribution this time around!

3 comments:

Papa Doc said...

Isn't it funny that we are republicans when we are talking principles, but then happy to take from the democrates when they give it out.

I am the same way. I did not get a dime during the last rebate, since our small income and large family always holds my taxes to a minimum. But it looks like we might this time, if I understand it correctly.

Dad Clark

Jess and Jen said...

Well, yeah, it is a little funny. This highlights the fact that it seems downright silly to be tied to a single party. We should vote on issues and people, not parties.

Mike and Adrianne said...

Mike doesn't declare himself as a Republican just for that reason--he wants to vote on the issues and not the just for the party. Last time he voted for the constitution party last time but this time we both like Mitt, and not just because he's Mormon.

And, we like gettng money back but think it's silly we are all excited about getting money back that they took for us in the first place.