Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Sight to Behold

You should have seen me yesterday. I went to Once Upon A Child (like Kid to Kid) to see if they had Halloween costumes the kids might be interested in. After looking around for a while, I decided not to buy anything until the kids were there to give me the thumbs up. As I left the store and walked to the car, I started digging through my purse to find my keys. Of course, that's when it started to rain. This was a good ol' torrential downpour! (We haven't had rain since we moved into our house. It's been miserable weather and Cincinatti is about 14 in. below normal for rainfall this year. So to have yesterday's rain was a little suprising. No one really expected it.) As I said, I was searching for the keys and realized they weren't in my purse. I walked back into the store thinking I'd dropped them, but nope, they weren't there. I had locked them inside the car.
So now I'm dripping wet, Jake was crying because he wanted to play with all the toys there in the store (the store won't let them play with the toys unless you buy them), the keys are locked in the car, and the kids are getting off the bus in 15 min. I'm panicking because I know that if the kids don't have someone there at the stop to pick them up, the policy is to take them back to their school where you'll have to go pick them up -- which would create mayhem with Geoff. I finally got ahold of Brent to go get the kids, he gets stuck in traffic, shows up late, and then can't find the kids. This whole time I'm still standing there with a fussy child at the store. It turns out Geoff had the good sense to drag Sarah to the neighbor's house to wait for us to get home. I'm just glad the drivers of their buses didn't notice we weren't there.
Between calls and Brent searching the neighborhood, we found the kids, he drove down and unlocked my car, and we managed to have a pretty quiet evening. Whew. Brent decided to not go back to his meeting I got him out of and stay home, so maybe it was a blessing in disguise. We had dad home a little more last night.
I think I must be the queen of doing stupid things. I could've had a much better day yesterday if I'd just paid attention to what I was doing!

4 comments:

Jess and Jen said...

Paying attention...that's a good idea. I walked out of Macey's on Monday (after having been in there for half an hour) to see that one of the sliding doors of the van had been open the whole time! I checked and nothing was missing, but I sure felt dumb!

Jen

Jess and Jen said...

Hey, at least you didn't mail your keys to the Netherlands...

(Sorry Adrianne, I couldn't resist)

Jess

Papa Doc said...

Well, don't feel bad -- Dad left the back of our van open after we unloaded Ammon and his wheelchair to take him to the doctor last week. He wanted to leave the ramp in place with the side door open and I said, "My gosh, Jim, we aren't in Elk Ridge! We're in Spanish Fork. Do you want this thing to be stolen?" So I locked the car doors. It wasn't until we got back out of the office that I saw the back door all the way open for the whole world to crawl in. We all do stupid things at one time or another.
Two weeks ago I wore two different shoes to work -- one brown and one black. Granted, they are the exact same shoe just in different colors. The week before that I forgot to pull my jeans down when I had to go to the bathroom. Now figure that one out!!!

Papa Doc said...

Chelsey, I have never locked my keys in my car so I have no idea of what you are talking about. I also have never done anything stupid, and have never lied.

Dad Clark