Friday, September 21, 2007

respect for the general

Not many military men cry, if any at all. Even when going thru saying goodbye to family, they just don't cry. Well, something happened this morning that just really struck me and that I won't forget. Last saturday the families were supposed to meet in the reunion center at 5:00am to say their goodbyes to their sholdier. There were only a few men leaving then, but the general and his wife came to say goodbye to them as well. The general wasn't quite leaving yet. Anyway, as I was waiting for Hans to arrive, the general and his wife stopped and asked me how I was holding up. Of course I started to cry. I felt like an idiot, but the general just gave me a big hug and said that he appriciated my sacrifice. Well, that was the first time I had actually been introduced properly to him.

Well, this morning my friend needed a ride to the same place so she could say goodbye to her husband. Quite a few men left this morning. Anyway, the general was there again and when he saw me, he approched me and called me by my first name. I was amazed that he even remembered who I was. Well, we had a really nice conversation and then I went my way. When I was about to leave with my friend, I saw him again and he put his arm around me and said, "Lindsey, I need to ask a favor of you." So, we talked and it turns out he wanted me to do a commercial with him right then. Well, that was not what impressed me, but as we were talking the second time this morning, we both turned to look and find a small family. The woman had two children, one little baby and a girl about seven years old. Well, their soldier had just walked away for the last time (well, for 15 months anyway) and the seven year old completely broke down in hysterics. The mother was trying very hard to keep it together herself and didn't really know what to do for her little girl. This scene was extremely sad. As the general turned to look back at me, he was crying. And, when he started to cry, I started to cry. It was a very touching moment for me.

It's not every day you see something like this. Many higher ranked men in the military seem to be feelingless. They just seem a little harsh and hide all feeling. Just seeing the general show that kind of expression on compasion really made me appriciate the kind of man he is. He has two sons only and both of them are serving in Iraq right now as well as their one and only daughter-in-law. So this man has a lot invested in this war. He genuinely cares what happens to soldiers and their families. Even if you don't agree in the war, you still can respect what kind of work these men are doing for our country. Right after that experience and after I shot the commercial with the general, my friend was walking to the car with me. She said, "I hate president bush." That comment really upset me because of what I had just witnessed. You know, if we didn't fight this war, our children would have to. The general and all those men who sacrifice their time and energy really deserve all the support we can give them. I appriciate good leaders like General Hertling.

Lindsey

3 comments:

Mike and Adrianne said...

Lindsey, thanks for sharing this experience. Mike has said that he has never felt the same respect for his commanders (Col. and Generals) that he has felt for some of his church leaders (Bishop Ogden, Janetski, etc.). You know, the commanders usually get their rank because they have worked hard to beat out other people. I'm not necessarily saying beat out in a bad way, but they have worked hard to get there. While a church leader may work hard to be a good man and do the right things, it is very different. It is good to hear that there are commanders that are so concerned. I also should say that just because he doesn't respect them the same way, doesn't mean they aren't good men. Anyway, I agree with you that we need to support the troops and even if we don't agree with the war, we need to support the work and sacrifices they have made. Me pray for Hans every night.

Jason said...

It's good to hear that our military is in the hands of men like General Hertling. Hans and all the other men and women in both Afganistan and Iraq are in our prayers.

Papa Doc said...

Lindsey,

I wanted to send your note to Fox News, like to the Bill O'Riley show or Hanidy and Combs. Mom would not left me. She feared the General would be upset. I am sure they would use it on their programs.

I am not upset, let me tell you. I cried too, to read your story. God bless that man and those troops, not the least of whom is Hans.

God bless you and Eva, too.

Dad Clark