Sunday, May 16, 2010

Flowers

We've had a great weekend and really appreciate Mom, Dad, Kaitlin, and Ammon taking our girls since Friday afternoon. I was supposed to be at a Scout training spanning the last two weekends (Thurs-Sat both weeks) but with Tessa's funeral, I rescheduled to September. However, we'd already made plans for our girls to head to Elk Ridge and Mom let us keep that schedule even though I wasn't out of town anymore. Thanks!

I was in Southern California last week (Mon-Wed) for work visiting the site of a 165,000-acre wildfire that burned last September (10th largest fire in California since 1933). I was asked to come down and give a presentation regarding the vegetation regeneration so far and blah blah blah. It was an hour-long talk and I had a great time giving it. However, I had some free time Wednesday morning before my flight home so I drove the 20 minutes to Pasadena to visit the Descanso Gardens. It was awesome! I don't know that I've ever been to a "garden" before besides the ones Dad planted in the backyard, so this was a cool experience.

I spent about an hour and a half walking around taking pictures and enjoying the solitude this piece of land provided in an otherwise hectic landscape (seriously, Southern California is busy busy busy). A few of the pics are below:

Leah called this the "bird flower" because, well, it looks like a bird.

I called this one "egg over easy" because, well, it looks like a half-cooked fried egg.

Cacti and flowers

Now, I know I haven't seen these fellas since the late '80's. What is it, anybody? Anybody?

More of the unnamed flower above with cacti in the background.

The garden had a huge rose section. I don't particularly like roses, but it certainly was a nice stroll through their aromatic paths.

6 comments:

Lokodi said...

Well Leah was pretty smart in calling it the bird flower because if I'm not mistaken, I believe that flower is actually called the bird of paradise. Chelsey can correct me if I'm wrong.

Lindsey

Jason said...

You are right, Lindsey. That last one looks like a peony eventhough it is a rose. Very pretty. I haven't the slightest idea what the orange flowers are. My first thought was a poppy but they don't have the right shape or the black coloration common to the orange poppy. What is it?

Jess and Jen said...

It is a poppy. Most of them weren't shaped like that; that one was a little different. I saw lots of poppies on this trip. They were growing naturally in the burned area, too.

chelsey said...

Lindsey and Leah are right. That flower is called the Bird of Paradise. Sounds like Leah is a budding florist! I don't ever think I've seen the flower in the cactus before. The last one looks like a dahlia.

Can't wait to visit Longwood Gardens in PA this summer!

chelsey said...

That's funny that I didn't even notice the last one was a rose since the flower itself looks like a dahlia. It's a climber or maybe a knockout rose variety. Ours are all in full bloom right now. I love it!

Mike and Adrianne said...

Beautiful flowers!