Sunday, December 18, 2011

The Fabric if the Cosmos

This is part of my journal entry for yesterday. I think you will find it interesting.
In the afternoon today I started to watch a TV program on BYU TV called NOVA. It was a many segment program narrated by one Brian Green, an author and physicist at Columbia University. It was one of the most fascinating programs I have ever seen. The series was called The Fabric of the Cosmos named after a book by the same name. It covered some of the same things that I have been reading in the book I mentioned a couple of days ago in this journal about quantum reality. The startling thing was that it got to the kernel of some scientific knowledge that fits nicely with the doctrine of the Church. It even spoke of the scientific possibility of passing through so called solid walls like Jesus did when he appeared to the Apostles in ancient times. It talked of an uncertainty that sounds like the universal freedom that the Church teaches. Then there were the strange ideas about the relation of particles over long distances with no known form of communication, yet a definite relation of activity. There was even a segment on physical transportation like the Beam me up, Scotty from Star Trek. The discussion of alternate universes was fascinating: kind of like worlds without end. The concept of eleven dimensions being required for the current string theory also leant credibility to the spirit world being very real and very much a part of every moment’s life on this earth. It was one of the most mesmerizing things I have ever watched. I watched the program for several hours. Chris could not believe that I had wasted so much time. It was not a waste for me.
Dad Clark

1 comment:

Jess and Jen said...

I saw that show on this weekend but I missed the beginning so I didn't pick it up mid-stream. I like to watch NOVA and Frontline but only if I know I can watch the entire episode, which is rare. -Jess