Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Bridal Veil Falls

Today I walked through Nunns Park in Provo Canyon and made my way to Bridal Veil Falls. It was a glorious day with a nice breeze. There was a lot of water coming down not only on these falls, but all over the mountain sides.


While the Colorado, Green and Spanish Fork Rivers are flowing furiously and are chocolate brown, the Provo River is clear and beautiful. It is flowing furiously, too. It made me feel very dizzy when I got too close because it is running so fast. I kept my distance after the first dizzy spell.


So Jess, when are you going to teach me how to take a picture with silky water?

5 comments:

Dave and Tana said...

BEAUTIFUL! I am so jealous that Dave gets to be there soon...

Jaclyn M said...

It was a beautiful day today. I need to go look at the falls again soon :) Beautiful pics :)

chelsey said...

Nice pictures! That's a lot of water. Usually the falls up above Bridal Veil aren't that full. You can easily tell how much water there is right now. So nice and green too!

Mike and Adrianne said...

Beautiful pictures Mom! I really want to go to the canyon when I come out.

Jess and Jen said...

The key to silky water is a shutter that stays open for a long time (20 seconds? 30 seconds?). Because of that, a tripod is a requirement. Also, it's very difficult to get silky water in the middle of the day because a long exposure and lots of sunlight will completely blow out most your picture. You either need to do it at dusk or dawn, in shade, on a cloudy day, or with some neutral density filters on your lens.

I learned that -- should you be in the right lighting -- you can simply choose aperture priority mode, close it as small as possible (f/22?) and let the camera choose the shutter speed. If it's dark enough outside or via a filter on your lens, your camera will be open long enough to get silky water. That's a real easy way to do it. -Jess