Thursday, January 06, 2011

I need some input for a nursery for a girl

Ok, so I don't imagine any of the boys will be interested in this post at all but I need ALL THE GIRLS to give me some opinions and ideas and hopefully we can put our brains together to make something awesome.

I want to create a nursery that is very feminine but not super girly. I have an idea of what I want but I'm not sure how to make it all come together. When I'm done, I'd like someone to be able to walk in and say, "Oh, this is definitely a girl's room" but I don't want, "Whoa, pink, purple, butterflies, flowers, overload" if you know what I mean.

So here is my vision: I want a little garden room. I want it be be classy and feminine. I also want most of what makes the room something I can make or buy (cheaply) before I move. I am willing to paint a mural when I move but don't want anything too dominate. I just want little touches of things here and there. I'm thinking of painting the room a very light blue to represent the sky and then everything else will bring in the feel of a garden.

Here are some things I have or would like to use or make to work in the room.



I think I could use this fabric to create some curtains or use the trees or birds as inspiration for something else.


I bought this 60% off at Hobby Lobby and it needs to be repainted. I'm not sure what colors to go with though so if you have thoughts on colors, that would be nice.
This butterfly craft I found on a blog--Just a Girl--and think this could be really cute.

I have asked my friend to create one of these for me. I don't care what she paints or draws I just love her characters and want one in my little girl's room.






Also, I think a mobile would be fun and I found this one but I think it is major over kill. Maybe I can think of some kind of variation?

So, I need some ideas. What colors should I do? Have you seen any craft or cute thing that might work well?

5 comments:

The Duke said...

Have you seen the little curtains Jen made for her girls? They look like little tutus and I absolutely love them. Have her send you a photo. They aren't overwhelming but very feminine. I love the butterfly craft. It's super cute.
The drawings from your friend are cute as well, but at first I thought the boy was going to cut off the girl's head. I think he's supposed to be her prince, huh.
Lots of ideas out there. Keep working on it.

Mike and Adrianne said...

Mom, this isn't the picture she would draw for me. It's for a book she is working on. It's just for an idea of what her people look like. I would like to see Jen's curtains.

Michelle said...

I'm really not one to give ideas in this area since I wanted Alyssa to have a complete "Girly" room and she did have just that. Pink walls with purple stamped butterflies all over.

Then she had pink everything in the room. I think your ideas are nice. I like the flower pillow.

Lokodi said...

Ok, I love everything you have but I think you need to simplify. You don't want too many different prints going on. If you want butterflies in a garden, that would be great. But I'm not sure how you're going to get the people into the idea. Maybe they can be in the garden or something. I love the idea of a garden theme though. I also love the mobile of butterflies. My friend has a girl's room in her house that is almost this same theme and it's beautiful and classy. I'll take a picture of it and send it to you. I think she got some of her stuff at Ikea. Do you have an Ikea close to you? They usually have some cute ideas for pretty cheap. Have you thought about vinyl flowers or butterflies to put on the wall? You can reuse them for when you move and they are cheap and cute. Just don't go overboard.

Those are just some thoughts for you. Hope they help.

Lindsey

Team Clark said...

I didn't read what anyone else wrote, but I just wanted to tell you that I just got a potterybarn kids catalog this last week and it has THE CUTEST ideas. So that is my suggestion - either look online or order the kids catalog and if you get the one that's out right now (which you should), you'll die of all the cuteness - it really is amazing.
Good luck!
Amy