Sunday, October 03, 2010

Time to Vote

In the last major election in Afghanistan, when you voted you had to dip your finger in a pot of permanent ink that lasted about three days even when washed. This was to avoid multiple voting and was because the registration system is still not developed properly.

The Taliban kept saying they would kill or harm anyone who voted, yet if you voted you could not hide it due to your finger. YET, 98% of the electorate voted!

In our last off year elections only 38% of the registered voters participate. Let alone the many who had not registered. This is a shameful statistic, especially so since in part it comes from the seat of modern republican government. In a recent primary in one of the eastern states, I think Maryland, only 25% voted, a record low.

I have voted in every election since I was first able to register. I expect all of you in this family to do the same. I want to make you feel guilty if you have been negligent in the past, such that you will change starting next month.

Several of you are probably not even registered. You can not easily do it at the last minute, if at all. If you have moved, married, etc., you are not registered. Get going. Find out how and get it done. Anyone in county government can tell you what to do. It is easy and lasts until you move again.

Get going. I know that at least Adam, Kaitlin, Gillian, Lance, Chelsey, and maybe David, Adrianne, and even Lindsey might not be registered. I hope several of you have been diligent and have already taken care of this.

Dad Clark

2 comments:

LanceandNance said...

Nancy and I registered the first week we moved here. :)

Dave and Tana said...

Dave and I registered as well!