Monday, July 19, 2010

Rag Quilt tutorial part two

So now that you have all ten rows sewn together you are practically done.

7. Sew all around the quilt, lining your edge up on the throat plate at the second groove (I think it's a fourth an inch). Really, I don't think it matters where you line it up, just make a large enough seam so you have something to snip.



8. Now you want to take your scissors and snip away. You are going to snip anywhere you made a seam, though make sure you don't snip into the seam--just snip above it. This step is my least favorite and it makes my wrist hurt when I'm done so either go buy some scissors that are designed specifically for this or try not to do it in one sitting.



9. All you have left to do is wash and dry the blanket--this is how you get your rag quilt look. Wash it on it's own in cold water. When you are done washing it you will want to wipe your washer before you put anything else in your washer. I like to shake it before I put it in the dryer to get rid of all the little pieces hanging off. Once it's in your dryer you will want to stop your dryer and clean out the lint trap every five to ten minutes or your dryer can get ruined--there is a lot of lint coming off these things! You will probably want to follow this step the first two or three times you wash the quilt.

10. Now you are all done!

8 comments:

Kaitlin Lanham said...

Adrianne that is so adorable! I love it, absolutely love it!

The Duke said...

That turned out really well. How do you finish the sides?

Mike and Adrianne said...

Mom, you just sew all around it and then snip the sides. That's it. There is no finishing. You just want all the edges to be frayed as well.

Mike and Adrianne said...

Mom, you just sew all around it and then snip the sides. That's it. There is no finishing. You just want all the edges to be frayed as well.

Michelle said...

So great that you ae making such a cute quilt. I used to sew a ton before having all the children. I made jeans quilts all the time. Then my sewing machine broke and I haven't sewn in years. I barely get scout patches on the uniforms. Your projects are wonderful and I think you are doing a fabulous job. Keep posting, it's interesting to see all the neat stuff.

Mike and Adrianne said...

Thanks Michelle! I remember your jean quilts. I thought they were so cool.

Jason said...

Beautiful quilt. You are going to be giving the Amish a run for their money soon.

Team Clark said...

Great quilt, Adrianne!