Sunday, November 29, 2009

Ammon's Fireside

Well, the fireside for Ammon is now over. I was amazed at the crowd that came to the church. The chapel was completely full and they had to open the overflow for several more rows of people. We estimate that there were between 250 and 300 people in attendance. Past teachers, aides, current teachers and new aides were there. His past DSPD caseworker was there and his new one was there as well. People he has known from all over attended the fireside.
Matt Bauman, middle linebacker for the BYU football team, was the first speaker and then the video Jess put together was shown. There were few dry eyes during that video. It was very visual and showed some of the tough times Ammon has struggled through for the past two years. It was well done and very touching. Thank you, Jess!

I spoke and told about Ammon's challenges and life. I explained what Spina Bifida is and talked about some of the issues that Ammon has faced and will in the future. At the end, I spoke about what he is like - funny, sweet, kind, faithful, etc. and asked people not to be afraid to learn about others that have disabilties. I told about Ammon's need to learn to talk to peers and have some normal social experiences. I told everybody that I honored the rest of my children for the sacrificies they have made while we have worked to keep Ammon alive. I do honor all of you because you have been so supportive, whether through vocal encouragement, visits to Ammon, fasting for him, participating in priesthood blessings, or numerous other ways. You are all my treasures.

There was a woman there from the Festival of Trees and a woman there from KSL 5 and after the meeting, they asked us to be up to the Festival of Trees on Wednesday morning about 6:25 a.m. so they could televise Ammon live - he will be on TV.

He has been out of his mind with excitement in anticipation of this night and it didn't dissapoint him one little bit. The tree they have made is gorgeous, the quilt is fantastic. Matt Bauman presented Ammon with one of the quilts after his talk was done. It's identical to the one that is being sold with the tree except we didn't have the players sign this one. Ammon was really excited.

After it was over, everybody visited and met with Ammon. Jace Salcido approached me and asked me if he could come and hang out with Ammon tomorrow night after school. I said, "Absoultely!!"

It is amazing how many people this one young man has touched and it is amazing that he was the subject of this fireside. It was a wonderful event and I'm sure he isn't likely to ever forget it! He will write more on his own blog tomorrow and others that took photos will add the photos of their blog. I was too busy to take photos - so Gillian and Kaitlin - and maybe Jen - add photos and give your take on the meeting.
It was a night to remember.

2 comments:

Jess and Jen said...

It was a great night! Chris, you did a great job speaking about Ammon! We are so glad we got to share in his night! We're also excited for Wednesday! -Jen

chelsey said...

I wish we could've attended... but it sounds like the fireside was amazing. And what else would it be? Ammon's an amazing person. I'm glad it all turned out well and can't wait to see pictures!