Monday, May 05, 2008

A Minor Scare

Today Dad gave us a minor scare. He called me at work about 12:30 and said he thought he was having a stroke. I dashed home, not certain what I would find when I got here. He seemed to be ok without some of the major stroke symptoms, but had a bad pain on the left side of his head that was not a headache. He had the pain when he woke up in the morning, but it became more difficult to speak and his balance wasn't great. He called the doctor and they told us to go straight to the ER, which we did. They did a CT scan, blood work, ultrasounds on his arteries, etc. and things looked ok. It appears that he had another TIA (mini-stroke). About 6:00 p.m. his speech became much better and he began to feel a bit better. They finally released him and we got home about 8:00 tonight. The doctor put him on a different blood thinning medication that has aspirin in it and we are hoping this will keep that blood running through his small artery.
At one point this afternoon, I didn't see many blessings through this experience. We got him down there, he didn't have a major stroke, Kaitlin and Gillian were home in time to be here for Ammon and the car started and got us to the hospital (after some prayers were said). We also got a living will signed and filed in his records at the hospital. I guess those were the blessings. Why this had to happen and whether there is something to be learned through this will have to be figured out another day. I'm emotionally wiped out tonight.
I am very grateful to the Lord for sparing this man for another day! I wouldn't want to live without him, that's for sure.
Keep him in your prayers.
I love you all.
Mom

4 comments:

Jess and Jen said...

We're very glad things turn out as they did. You guys were in our dinner prayer and each of our evening prayers. -Jess

chelsey said...

We're glad you're home now and doing alright dad! Hang in there everyone! You're always in our prayers.

Jason said...

Holy Crap, Dad. When you told me you were sick yesterday, I assumed you just had a cold. I'm glad you are doing alright. Get some sleep.

Mike and Adrianne said...

We are glad you are ok too. I think Ammon is glad you are ok as well. We are praying for you.