Monday, October 08, 2007

Elder Wirthlin

Did anyone else in the family see Elder Wirthlin's talk on Saturday afternoon? If you only listened to it, you missed out on a really neat experience! Brent and I were streamlining conference on our computer Sat afternoon and while we were watching Elder Wirthlin speak, we suddenly noticed something strange. Out of the blue, he started to shake uncontrollably. At first, we just watched, then Brent asked if I thought he (Bro. Wirthlin) was okay. I said I wasn't sure because his shaking got so severe he looked like he was going to fall over. He was speaking about charity and how to show that love outwardly when all of the sudden, Elder Nelson appeared. He simply put his hand out and let Elder Wirthlin know he was there. Then Elder Nelson stood behind him and held Elder Wirthlin up through the rest of his talk. Elder Wirthlin seemed so determined to get through his talk! He was speaking as fast as he could and clearly didn't have the physical strength to get through it alone. Brent and I cried as we watched such a tender moment between these 2 men who clearly care for each other deeply. Elder Nelson's simple act of support spoke volumes regarding charity. If you didn't get to see it, you should go to ksl.com and try to watch it. That is truly what this gospel is about. That left quite an impression on me. Hope you all get to see it.

3 comments:

Mike and Adrianne said...

I had the same experience. I didn't cry because I get embarrassed in front of Mike but I too thought it appropriate that the talk was on Charity and I commented to Mike about the love those men all must have for each other.

Jess and Jen said...

We had very similar thoughts as we watched his talk. Jen even said the same thing Adrianne wrote: about the love those men all must have for each other. This isn't just some college fraternity, but a group of men who have genuine love for each other. Fun to watch.

Oh, and Adrianne, in the words of Johnny Cash: Cry, cry, cry! If you cry, you can always blame Dad for that gene. I think as I get older, that gene gets stronger and stronger. I'm becoming quite a wimp and Jen is okay with that!

Mike and Adrianne said...

Jess, I know it's ok to cry but I don't do it very often...although, lately I seem to be emotional about a lot of things. Just last week I came home from talking to the bishop about some names for Primary and it was quite a disappointing conversation. I came home and started crying when Mike came home. He was like, "What is wrong with you?" He doesn't think I'm silly for crying but I still get embarrassed and since I don't do it very often he is always surprised.