Monday, July 10, 2006

Book #2 for the book club

I have already mentioned this book to I think Adrianne, but would anyone else be interested in reading "Night", by Elie Wiesel? It is his first hand account of his life in the concentration camps during WWII. I just finished it, and was deeply moved by it. I knew about some of the stuff that happened there, but it left me thinking about humanity. His book poses some difficult questions as he learns to face his faith as a Jew. The book also has a reading group guide at fsgbooks.com. There are questions that the reader can answer and think about as you read. It might make for an interesting discussion group. Elie Wiesel was awarded the Nobel prize, and the book is short (120 pages). In general, it is pretty easy reading (though perhaps not the subject matter). This is most definitely open to everyone to read -- not just the girls. I already told Brent he had to read it so I could talk to him about it. I found it at the library, so it shouldn't be too difficult to get ahold of. (Yes, I know, I ended the sentence with a proposition. So what?) Anyway, let me know what you think.

5 comments:

Mike and Adrianne said...

I am going to read it!

Papa Doc said...

I'm up for it. I will see if I can find it at the County Library when I take some books back on Saturday.

Brent Pugh said...

I am going to read it too.

Lokodi said...

This one was mandatory reading for me in freshman yr college and was I think the only book that ever made me cry. I warned you. Hans

Jess and Jen said...

So, why do we skip Dawn and Day and just skip right to Night? Did Oprah not find them good enough?